Frequently Asked Questions - TN Visa

Job titles approved for TN classification
Would an engineer with the job title of sales engineer or engineering manager be approved for TN classification if the job duties will require the application of engineering principles in support and promotion of technical products?

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that, due to the fact that Sales Engineer or engineering manager is not among the professions listed in Appendix 1603.D.1, such an individual would not be approved for the TN classification.

Applicant seeking admission as a NAFTA professional
Isn't it true that, in determining whether the offered job comes within a NAFTA covered occupation, CBP Officers must evaluate the job duties as described in the employer’s statement supporting the application for admission and that the job title alone does control the determination?
Procedure to seek supervisory review for a citizen of Mexico
For a CBP port of entry, what is the procedure available to seek supervisory review of an officer’s refusal to admit a citizen of Mexico to the U.S. for the period of offered employment up to three years?

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that, in instances in which an officer refuses to admit a TN applicant for the period of employment up to three years, the applicant can ask to speak to the Supervisory CBP Officer who is assigned to the area in which the inspection took place. If this does not occur, an inquiry with the Special Cases Office could be initiated in order to have the admission reviewed.

Mexican citizen with valid TN visa confirming employment period
Assuming that the Mexican citizen holds a passport that is valid for at least three years and that the alien is otherwise admissible, isn't it true that an employer’s letter or statement confirming that the employer intends to employ the alien for a temporary period of up to three years is sufficient to support admission for the requested period of time.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that this is true. A Mexican citizen TN nonimmigrant applicant for admission whose passport is valid for the requested admission period, and who is in possession of an employment letter confirming the employment period of up to 3 years, should be admitted for a 3-year admission period.

Mexican citizen with a valid TN visa
Isn't it true that a Mexican citizen with a valid TN visa may be admitted to the United States in TN status for up to three years, provided that the individual’s passport will remain valid throughout this period and the individual is otherwise admissible?

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that a Mexican citizen with a valid TN visa, if otherwise admissible, may be admitted as a TN for up to three years, if applicable, provided that the applicant’s passport remains valid during the duration of that period of time.

Applying for TD visa for wife of TN Visa Holder
I am a Canadian citizen and recently started working in USA with a TN visa. I am planning to get married soon but wife is not from Canada, she is from Bangladesh, Can I apply for a TD visa for wife and how long is the process? Is it possible to bring wife with me after marriage? Also, Is it also possible to sponsor wife to become permanent resident of Canada while I am on TN status visa?

She has to get a TD visa through a US consulate (either Bangladesh or Canada is ok). It should be a relatively short process -- from same-day to a few weeks, depending upon what the consulate needs. We do not practice Canadian law, so I do not know what you can do on the Canadian side, but US immigration laws have no problem with you applying for her Canadian immigration while on TN/TD.

Canadian with J-2 visa
I am a Canadian with J2 visa. I am an engineer and want to work in US to keep up with my career. I am going to apply for EAD. If I don't get, can I switch from J2 to TN. Can my kids still stay on J2?

You can switch back to TN from J-2. What you do has no effect on the children. They derive their status directly from your J-1 spouse.

J-2 to TN
I am Canadian citizen & currently working on TN visa. My spouse is on J1 visa. I want to switch to J2 and get EAD. After couple of years he will apply for waiver and will move to H1. I believe I will be switched to H2 automatically as his dependant and my EAD will be void. Will that be possible at that time that I can switch back to my TN status?

You can switch back to TN. To correct slightly, you do not automatically get switched to an H-4 (not H-2).

TN Visa denied
I am a pharmacy graduate from India and a Canadian national. I passed my FPGEE Examination and hold a Intern Pharmacist License from Michigan Board of Pharmacy. I have been twice denied TN Visa saying I don't have Pharmacist License from US or Canada. I have been advised by the officer to apply for H1B visa. Recently, I read on State Department Website that License is not a prerequisite for YN visa. But my TN visa request was refused.

NAFTA clearly implies that you do not need a license (if you work under a licensed pharmacist).

Pharmacist—baccalaureate degree, licenciatura degree, or state/provincial license.

Holding Company Stocks on TN Visa
I am on TN visa for the more than a year. The company wants to give me some stock option (10-15%). Is that ok to hold stocks of the company you are working for on TN visa, or will it create problem when I apply for renewal of my TN visa. Can I apply for GC on TN visa?

I see no issue with holding stock, but that will be a problem for PERM-based green card. Also, processing green card under TN can be problematic.

TN Holder laid off
My husband was recently laid off after submitting an I-130. He is a Canadian citizen on a TN visa. He is still living in the US, all though his TN requires him to go back to Canada if he is not employed. The I-130 was approved, and now USCIS would like the I-485 change of status. This requires him to state his employment. Since he is not employed should we notify USCIS that he is moving back to Canada? Or should he apply for an EAD along with the I-485? What is the best approach?

Do not be alarmed. If you are a US citizen, there should be no issues.

TN Applying for Green Card
My wife is on TN (expiry date : Oct/2019) and my two kids are on her TN as TD visa holders (expiry date : Oct/2019). I am on TN Visa (expiry date : Apr/2019) and my perm just got approved and am in the process of simultaneously activating my earlier inactivated H1B visa and filing the I-140 with the hope after few months down I will be with an approved I-140 and H1B. My wife wants to stay on TN (kids on TD) as long as possible because the employer doesn't want to sponsor H1B and moving to H4 EAD doesn't look like a smart option now due to uncertainty surrounding H4-EAD's.
Current Immigration/Visa Options for Entrepreneurs
What are the requirements to get a visa and green card as an international entrepreneur? Is the start-up visa effective?
The Proposed I-140 EAD Rule - FAQ's

Question 1: Redo the PERM or just the I-140. If redoing the PERM again then what's new in this regulation? 

Answer: After 180 days, you can extend H-1 even if 140 is withdrawn.

Question 2: It seems that there is no easy provision for EAD/AP for approved 140 applicants. So is there any point in waiting for this rule or Should I consider Visa stamping is only option for traveling outside US? Please suggest as I waited for a year or long thought they are going to give AP.

Can TN work on 1099 as independent contractor
I am Canadian citizen and got job offer in USA and going to work on TN visa. They are going to employ me as an independent contractor and are going pay using 1099. Can TN workers work as an independent contractor? Is this something valid and can I accept this one?

See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.

FAQ Transcript:

Traveling on a TN or L-1 Visa From Canada?
1. What are TN and L nonimmigrant classifications? 2. How can Canadian citizens obtain TN and L-1 classifications? 3. I am a first time TN and L-1 applicant – am I required to go to a designated port of entry? 4. Which ports of entry are designated for optimized processing?

1. The TN nonimmigrant classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level. The L-1 nonimmigrant classification - Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager – enables a U.S. employer to transfer an executive or manager from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States.  This classification also enables a foreign company that does not yet have an affiliated U.S. office to send an executive or manager to the U.S.

Change of Status from J-2 to TN
Am I allowed to apply for TN status while EAD is pending. E.g Based on my new DS2019, I apply for EAD in May/14 for authorization beginning Jul1/14-Jun30/15. Now I get an offer letter. In Jun/14, can I apply for TN status at the border or for COS with I-129 with USCIS?

Check with USCIS customer service