Cross chargeability

On H1B, born in India, EB2 I-140 approved but cannot apply for I-485 since PD is Nov 2008. Is cross-chargeability applicable in this case, if I marry GF who was born in country other than India/China? Is it OK if the GF is not here right now or on other visa category than H1B? Will marrying enable both of us to file for I-485 immediately?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Cross changeability is possible if your spouse was born in a country other than your country of birth. She can file her I-485 only if she is in USA.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment